Pre-Application Form for Marriage License

Marriage License Requirements:

  • Both must be 18 years old or older (if either party is under 18, please see requirements below)
  • There is no waiting period, blood test or physical requirement.
  • The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
  • The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

How can we obtain our marriage license?

  • Both parties must apply for the license together.
  • Both must present an acceptable form of ID (Drivers’ license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card)
  • Correct spelling of father’s full name and mother’s full maiden name (first, middle and last)
  • Fee of $50.00 is due in full at the time of application

What do we do after we are married?

  • The officiate will return the signed marriage application to the Grant County Clerk’s Office. It will be filed with the County Clerk and a Marriage License will be issued to the couple.
  • When changing your maiden name, you will take your marriage license to the Social Security Administration. Information about the Social Security Office located in Florence, KY.
  • Upon receiving clearance from the Social Security Administration, then you may change your name on your driver’s license. Information about the Grant County Circuit Clerk’s office.

Minister Requirements

  • The “recognition” of a minister can take the form of ordination or license, or any other form which expresses clearly the fact that a religious group recognizes the person or looks to the person as a minister of that specific group. Currently, there is not a registration process for a minister to preform ceremonies in Kentucky.

Need a copy of a marriage license?

For a marriage license copy request, the following fees are required:
  • Photocopy: $0.50 per page
  • Certified copy: $5.00 per certified copy

Requirements to marry a person under the age of 18

  1. Must be 16 years of age. Neither party can be under 16 may be issued a marriage license without an order from the District Court. The bride must be pregnant before the court will issue an order.
  2. A female minor must make application in the county of her parent’s residence, but can get married in another county after she has completed the requirements for the license.
  3. A Consent to Marriage Form (84-FCC-501) is required. This must be completed, witnessed, signed by the parents or legal guardian* of the minor, and sworn by the deputy clerk. (A guardian must bring the document affirming guardianship).
  4. One parent or legal guardian* and two witnesses 18 years old or older, must sign the Consent to Marriage Form for each minor.
  5. One parent or legal guardian* and two witnesses 18 years old or older, must sign the Consent to Marriage Form for each minor.
  6. If the parents of either minor are divorced, custody papers are required to sign the Consent to Marriage Form.
  7. Birth Certificate and Driver’s License/State ID

NOTE: Legal guardian must have full guardianship. Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Please carefully read and follow the instruction after you submitted this form.